Wednesday, April 8, 2015
Chai Spiced Sugar Cookies
It's not surprising. This is an interesting cookie. It's a sugar cookie, but amped up. It's spiced with chai spices - cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice, even black pepper. Your whole house smells like a spice cabinet while they are baking (that's meant to sound like a good thing). Besides having these spices mixed in, they also get rolled in the spice mixture before they're baked. That makes them have a little crunch and spice on the outside, while the insides are chewy but just as spicy. These cookies are basically the ideal cookie for tea time, or coffee time, or breakfast (I'm talking to you, Mark!). Try them out. You won't be sorry.
chai spiced sugar cookies
from My Baking Addiction
yield about 3 dozen cookies
2 3/4 cups all-purose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3) In a medium bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice, and black pepper. Remove 1/4 cup of the sugar-spice mixture and set aside to reserve for rolling the cookies.
4) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar-spice mixture until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5) Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Combine until fully incorporated.
6) Slowly blend in dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
7) Using a small scoop (2 teaspoons), roll dough into balls and then in the reserved sugar-spice mixture. Place dough balls on prepared baking sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
8) Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand on baking sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.