Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Slow Cooker Soda BBQ Pulled Pork

My family loves pulled pork.  I wish they didn't, but they do.  And frankly it requires minimal meat touching on my part, especially when I can throw it in a slow cooker and pour soda on top of it and call it a day.   Because literally, that's all there is to this recipe.  You can season your pork with whatever you want - I think I used Montreal Chicken Seasoning, for lack of better pork knowledge.  Then you put it in the Crockpot, and pour a can of soda on top.  The original blogger recommended Dr. Pepper, but said she had used both Coke and Pepsi and was looking forward to trying out cherry Coke.  Very intriguing, if you ask me.  And that's all you do!  Then you wait.  You can't beat this recipe for easiness.

Of course, I didn't try these sandwiches, but I did try to go above and beyond by making my favorite barbecue sauce.  In fact, while we are on the topic of sauce, I made a huge (x 10) batch of this stuff and gave mason jars of it to my family.  I made one for Nick, too, knowing his love for sauces (he's got another special sauce on the way too; just wait for that recipe!).  It was a quick and easy DIY gift that I hope people enjoy.  I didn't want to give cookies or candy and be like everyone else.  This vegetarian prides herself on excellent barbecue sauce - and pulled pork, of course.  You don't have to make your own sauce, obviously, but since this recipe is so hands-off, you can't deny that you have the time to do it.  30 minutes, tops.

These sandwiches were a big hit.  Even Nick, my connoisseur of pulled pork, said it was delicious, and most of the boys ate two sandwiches.  The leftovers were sent home with them (except for a small amount that was given to Daisy with pills mixed in... see my country style ribs post for more information on that!).  It will probably appear in my kitchen again for my carnivores.

Guess what today is?  Yes, New Year's Eve, but also my third blogiversary!  Can you believe it?  So much has changed in 3 years, much of it coming in the last six months.  I'm still cooking and baking up a storm, but in my own kitchen for a usually much smaller number of people.  This year, I have been trying to cook more meat for my husband per his request, and as I said, I do kind of pride myself on being a vegetarian who can whip up a mean pulled pork sandwich.  Happy New Year, everyone!

Recipe:

slow cooker soda BBQ pulled pork
from Moms Need To Know

Ingredients:
3 - 4 pound pork loin roast, trimmed of all visible fat
a good pork rub or your favorite seasonings
12-ounce can soda
barbecue sauce

Instructions:

1) Season pork with rub on all sides.  Make sure to really massage the rub into the meat.  Place pork in slow cooker and pour in soda.

2) Cook on low 10 - 12 hours or on high 7 - 8 hours.

3) Remove pork and drain most of the liquid from the Crockpot.  Return the pork to the Crockpot and, using 2 forks, shred the meat.

4) Add barbecue sauce to taste.  Stir well and cook on low for a few minutes until the sauce is heated through.  Serve on buns with cole slaw.
pre-shredding!


No comments:

Post a Comment