Monday, December 29, 2014

BBQ Country Style Ribs

I went back and forth on whether or not to share this recipe, and I finally decided to give it a try.  The reason I was so on the fence?  Well... no human has ever tried it, so I have no quotes or opinions to share with you.  I made these ribs, three different times.... for Daisy.  It's a long story, but suffice it to say that this basset hound went through a period a couple months ago where she needed to take 7 pills a day and every single one was a struggle.  I tried everything: peanut butter, cream cheese, bread, bacon (!), Pill Pockets, wet dog food (including my own... didn't share that recipe because Miss Picky Eater wasn't a fan).... everything was sniffed and then scoffed at.

Then my mom found out that meatballs seemed to work pretty well.  Because of how much I hate making meatballs, I was determined to try something else.  We decided it has to be meat, and there has to be a strong-flavored sauce to mask the taste of the pills.  And thus I came upon this recipe.  With country style ribs being fairly inexpensive, I thought I could afford to do it, and if it avoided a physical confrontation every morning and night, it was worth it.

Now, because this was for a dog after all, I didn't follow the recipe exactly.  Daisy did not have the luxury of her ribs being seasoned with garlic and lemon slices.  But she has built up a real appreciation for barbecue sauce!  I didn't use a whole bottle for hers though, and I don't really think you would need to either.  That's a lot of sauce.

These ribs are baked twice, at a relatively low heat (250 degrees).  They are baked for two hours at first, then sauced up and baked again for one hour (most of the time this recipe entails is just wait time).  When they come out of the oven, even I can tell they are tender (perfect consistency for hiding pills).  And they reheat well- just ask Daisy.

You're probably wishing you were my dog right about now.  Sorry, her job is taken.  But if you try this recipe out, let me know what humans think about it! :)

Daisy now takes 2 pills a day and is doing much better; she has been far less argumentative about it too.  She doesn't require ribs every morning and night, thank god.  But if and when your dog becomes a pill fighter, go buy some country style ribs and barbecue sauce.

Recipe:

BBQ country style ribs
from All Recipes
makes 5 servings

Ingredients:
10 country style pork ribs
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 18-ounce bottle barbecue sauce

Instructions:

1) Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  In a shallow baking pan or roaster, place ribs in a single layer.  Salt if desired.  Spread the garlic on the ribs, then place the lemon slices on top.

2) Bake for 2 hours; the ribs should be tender at this point.  Drain any grease and liquid.  Pour BBQ sauce over the ribs.  Return to the oven and bake for one more hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment