Friday, September 13, 2013

Lentil Enchiladas

I can't really say enough good things about these lentil enchiladas.  I know what you're thinking: really, Bridget? Lentils in an enchilada?  Where's the beef, or the chicken, or the meat?  So in case that's what you were thinking, let's start off with a quote from my mom: "these are really good.  Very tasty.  I don't even miss the meat."  Let me repeat: that was a quote from my mom, the queen of carnivores!  These enchiladas were devoured by everyone who gave them a shot, from Mom to Rachael to me (many, many times; I brought them to work for lunch for almost a week and never once got sick of them).

The secret to these enchiladas is actually the enchilada sauce.  I know how easy it is to just buy a can of it, which I have definitely done before, but you have to believe me: it's worth the extra effort.  This sauce was so good that it almost made me wish I'd doubled it, because I wanted every single bite to have tons of enchilada sauce.  It's also so easy and fast to throw together, you really have no excuse to grab a can!

The recipe calls for green chiles; I halved the amount due to my inability to handle any spice, but you could add even more if you're braver than I.  There is also onion and garlic, but I think adding some more vegetables in there would elevate these enchiladas to the tip top of the Mexican food pedestal.   Maybe some peppers, or beans, or tomatoes?  Either way... they are among the tastiest (and healthiest) enchiladas you will ever eat.  Just writing about them makes me want to eat them again!

Recipe:

Lentil Enchiladas
from Peanut Butter and Peppers

Ingredients:
For filling:
2 1/4 cups lentils, cooked
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
4 ounce can roasted green chiles
1/2 cup shredded light Mexican cheese, divided
8 8" whole wheat flour tortillas
For sauce:
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

1)  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Make enchilada sauce: in a medium bowl, add tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt.  Mix until combined; set aside.

2) In a skillet, add olive oil, onion, and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.  Add green chiles and lentils.  Cook until warmed.  Add 1/4 cup of the cheese and mix until cheese is mostly melted.

3) Spoon some of the sauce into a 9 x 13" baking dish.  Evenly distribute lentil mixture to tortillas, about 1/4 cup.  Place rolled tortillas seam-side down into baking dish.  Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.

4) Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese has melted.  Serve with tomatoes, jalapenos and Greek yogurt.
I spy lentils!


No comments:

Post a Comment