|See the spirals?|
I will confess that I had a scrambled egg issue and instead of ending up with those little pieces of egg you see in fried rice, my eggs disappeared. Still not sure what the heck I did, but really they were completely hidden. Mark, who apparently hates eggs (since when, I say!) claimed he could taste them still, but I thought they were gone except for the fact that they added some more protein.
My quinoa-hating mother admitted to really liking this dinner, and like I said, she was surprised to hear it was made without any rice at all. Rachael really liked it, especially the fact that it was a healthier version than the regular fried rice. And I will come clean and say that I ate it every single day until it was gone... and I bought more quinoa yesterday so I can have some more soon!
|My mouth is watering just looking at this picture...|
quinoa fried "rice"
from Cooking for Keeps
1 cup quinoa (or 2 1/2 - 3 cups cooked quinoa)
1 1/2 cups water or chicken stock (I used water)
1/4 small onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 scallions, chopped and divided
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 eggs, lightly scrambles (still raw)
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 1/2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
3/3 teaspoon sesame oil
1) Rinse quinoa a few times in cold water.
2) Bring quinoa and water or chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, and then reduce to a simmer. Season with salt.
3) Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is fluffy and cooked through. Remove from heat and let set for 5 minutes or so. Fluff with a fork.
4) Cool and store in the fridge, preferably overnight (I didn't).
5) Mix teriyaki, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
6) Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large saute pan over a high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, about 2 minutes. Add 2 scallions, garlic, and ginger to the pan. Cook another 2 minutes. Add in the rest of the olive oil and the quinoa. Stir fry about 2 minutes. Add sauce and stir-fry until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Make a well in the center of the quinoa; pour eggs in and scramble. Throw in peas, then toss everything together until the peas are warmed through. Add remaining scallion and serve.