Thursday, July 25, 2013

California Veggie Sandwiches

Okay okay... I was bad.  I lied that I would blog on vacation.  So I apologize.  But the good news is that I did cook and bake while I was in New Hampshire, so I have lots of recipes to share! And this one alone is so amazing that you will forgive me immediately.

This little gem is actually something I made before we left for vacation.  And I will confess that it's something I ate 5 times before I actually sat down to blog it :)  I cannot stress enough to you the awesomeness of a sandwich.  For a girl who isn't actually all that keen on sandwiches, this means a lot. I think there are three great things about it.  Here they are:

3 Great Things About California Veggie Sandwiches
1) As the name suggests, they are vegetarian.  This is great because it's healthy, meatless, and yet filling at the same time.

2) They are versatile.  You basically can put any vegetables in there that you like, or have on hand, or feel like eating.  For example, I used radishes, carrots, and cucumbers.  I left out the red onion because I don't like onion in sandwiches, and the whole world seems to have run out of sprouts.  I have also added tomato to my mom's and she loved it.  So again, the versatility is great.

3) Goat cheese.  Enough said.


They're pretty easy to throw together: toast some multigrain bread, and while it's toasting, start chopping and slicing and shredded your veggies (my food processor really quickens this process!).  The recipe also calls for you to mix together goat cheese and fresh parsley, but I have been cheating and using herbed goat cheese that I picked up at the store.  I bet the sandwich would be even more amazing with your own homemade herbed goat cheese!

The bottom line is that you should make yourself this sandwich now.  And honestly you might as well make two for yourself because you'll want both (I did.)

Recipe:

California veggie sandwiches

from Meatless by Martha Stewart
makes 4
337 calories, 14.55 grams fat, 17.74 grams protein

Ingredients:

8 ounces fresh goat cheese
1/4 cup fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
8 slices multigrain bread, toasted
1/2 English cucumber, sliced
1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
2 large radishes, trimmed and cut into matchsticks
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Instructions:

1) Mix goat cheese and parsley in a small bowl.  Spread bread slices with goat cheese mixture.  

2) Layer 4 bread slices with cucumber, alfalfa sprouts, carrots, onion, and radish. 

3)  Season with salt and pepper.  Sandwich with remaining bread slices, and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment