Wednesday, June 1, 2016

20 Minute Lemon Broccoli Pasta Skillet

It's June, you guys!  This year went by so fast!  School will be over 3 weeks from today!  Maybe it was because my class was better or my life was better or both, but this year flew by.  Soon enough I'll be sleeping in and having pool parties, cooking and baking to my heart's content :)

But for now, I am getting home from work pretty exhausted.  This is a totally fun but totally crazy time to be a teacher.  Within the next 15 days of school, I have field day, field trips, fifth grade barbecue, spring concert, and countless other schedule-blowing extravaganzas!  By the time I get home, I'm lucky if I can make myself something quick like Ramen noodles.  Okay fine, that happened last week.  I may love the process of cooking but on nights like these when my eyes are closing before 7:00, I need something quick.

Enter 20 minutes lemon broccoli pasta skillet!  This was so quick and oh so good.  Is anything better than pasta with lemon and parmesan? I don't think so.  Add in garlic, spinach and broccoli, and what more could you ask for?!  I loved this meal, and I brought the leftovers for lunch for days until it was gone.  I kind of miss it. Guess I will have plenty of time to make it again real soon :)

Recipe:

20 minute lemon broccoli pasta skillet
from The Food Charlatan
serves 6

Ingredients:
3 quarts water
1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into florets
1 pound rotini pasta
3-4 cups spinach
4 tablespoons butter
1 large lemon, tested and juiced
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup fresh parmesan, plus more to garnish
salt and pepper


Instructions:

1) In a large pot, bring the water to a boil along with 1 tablespoon of salt.

2) Add the rotini and boil on high for 4 minutes.  Add the broccoli, cover, and cook 3 minutes.

3) Drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot. Stir in spinach and sprinkle with lemon zest.  Let sit for a few minutes so the spinach wilts.

4) Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Add minced garlic and crushed red pepper and saute for about 1 minutes until fragrant.  Turn off heat and add 2- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Garnish with more Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment