The quiche itself is a mixture of spinach sautéed with garlic and grape tomatoes, and eggs to hold it all together. The crust is crunchy and soft at the same time - like a good french fry! Add a little mozzarella, and you've got yourself breakfast for a week! It reheats really well and makes the closet smell good. Oh, I'm sorry, you don't microwave your breakfast in a closet at work? Yeah, us either.... anyway, my friend Laura smelled the
hash brown, spinach and tomato pie
serves 4 - 6
2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 cup part-skim mozzarella, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups fresh spinach, packed
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup grape tomatoes
1/4 cup milk
salt and freshly ground pepper
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Press down the hah brown potatoes into the pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and top with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella. Set aside.
2) Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add spinach and tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted, stirring frequently. Add garlic, and continue to cook for 1 minute.
3) Remove from heat, and spread over potatoes.
4) In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Pour over spinach and tomatoes. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over the pie.
5) Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting.