The pork chops are dipped into egg, and then into a mixture of crunchy panko and crushed cornflakes flavored with parmesan, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and pepper. They are then baked, not fried, but they still come out golden brown and crunchy on the outside. The inside, of course, is juicy and flavorful while the outside packs it own punch. I wasn't among the crew who gave them a shot, but everyone else was a big fan. It almost made trimming the pork chops worth it ;)
I am not going to give it its own post, but I do want to share the salad I served with these pork chops. I had a most of a head of cabbage left from another recipe and no clue what to with it. I did some research and decided to shred the cabbage and toss with with some olive oil, lemon juice and a clove of minced garlic. It was so bizarrely delicious, I even got Nick to eat it. It was bright and peppery and crunchy and tangy... and honestly I ate forkfuls of it out of the Tupperware for days after when I was looking for a snack. If you're going to try the pork, at least promise me you will try the cabbage too.
oven "fried" breaded pork chops
1) 6 3/4-inch thick center cut boneless pork chops, fat trimmed (5 ounces each)
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup panko crumbs
1/3 cup crushed cornflake crumbs
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large nonstick baking sheet lightly with oil.
2) Season pork chops on both sides with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Combine panko, cornflake crumbs, parmesan cheese, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and black pepper in a large shallow bowl.
3) Place the beaten egg in another bowl. Dip the pork into the egg, then crumb mixture. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chops.
4) Lightly spray a little more oil on top of the pork and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with cabbage salad!