Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Thingies

I have made these spicy little numbers twice now.  They are the epitome of perfect party food.  I made them first for Ross' house warming/ ugly sweater party.  It was my plan to see how they went over with my family, and if people liked them, I would make them again for Christmas Eve.  Considering only one was left out of 40, I decided they were a hit, and did end up making them for our family holiday party!

The beauty is how simple these are.  No, they're not jalapeño poppers, there's no breading (gluten-free!) or frying (hence the "thingies" name). You simply slice the jalapeños in half and scrape out the seeds (lots of them like to hide near the stem... I found this out the hard way.  FYI, they are the spiciest part!).  Then fill them with softened cream cheese, wrap them in bacon, and bake.  That's it!  I broiled them the last couple minuets to get the bacon extra crispy.

The second time I made them, Nick made the suggestion to add a little shredded cheddar to the cream cheese.  I did that, and they got rave reviews yet again, so if you're looking for some extra flavor, go for it and add the cheese!  Not too much - I used maybe 1/4 cup total.

Obviously I can't tell you how these are personally, but I can tell you that they were devoured, complimented, scarfed, and even cheered when they were spotted at the second party! :)

Recipe:

bacon-wrapped jalapeño thingies
from Pioneer Woman 
serves 10

Ingredients:
20 whole fresh jalapeños, 2 - 3 inches in size
2 packages cream cheese, softened
1 pound regular bacon, sliced into thirds
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional

Instructions:

1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Put a cooling rack in a baking pan so the thingies will not cook in the bacon grease.

2) If you have them, wear latex gloves for the pepper prep.  Cut jalapeños in half lengthwise.  With a spoon, remove the seeds and white membrane (or leave them if you like things hot!).

3) If using cheese, mix into the cream cheese.  Smear softened cream cheese into each jalapeño half.  Wrap each half with a 1/3 slice of bacon.  Secure by sticking a toothpick through the middle.

4) Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.  You don't want the bacon to shrink so much it starts to squeeze the jalapeño.  If, after 20 minutes, the bacon doesn't look brown enough, just turn on the broiler for a couple minutes to finish it off.  These are best when the jalapeño still has a bit of bite to it.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment