Sunday, November 17, 2013

Curried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

There is just something about butternut squash and apple together that I like.  It's the sweet, creamy, fall-ness of the combination that makes me pin anything that has both words in it.  I've made a butternut squash and apple soup before, and it was good but not earth shattering.  I was intrigued by this soup and the fact that it has curry powder in it as well, so when Kenzie brought home one of her work friend's surplus squashes, I decided to give it a try.

It was pretty quick and easy to make, and in the end you get a soup that is perfect for a cool day in the fall.  There is a touch of tart sweetness from the apples (and cider as well) and a creaminess from the pureed squash - no cream needed!  The curry powder makes it a tiny bit spicy, but not too spicy for me and I am a big baby when it comes to that.  Warming, filling and healthy at only 130 calories per serving, it's a pretty good soup for this time of year.  With that said, don't think for a second that I am changing my mind on my hatred towards fall.  I still hate it and miss the summer.  But I do enjoy butternut squash.

Recipe:

curried butternut squash and apple soup
from Sharp.com
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe.  130 calories, 4 grams fat, 1 gram saturated dat, 55 milligrams sodium, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 26 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, 11 grams sugar

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
2 cups chopped onion
1 rib celery
4 teaspoons curry powder
2 medium butternut squash (about 2 1/2 - 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
3 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
3 cups water (can substitute with chicken stock or vegetable broth... I used half water, half veggie broth)
1 cup cider

Instructions:

1) In a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, combine onions, celery, butter and curry powder.  Cover and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender (10 - 15 minutes), stirring often.

2) Add cubed squash, chopped apples, and liquid (water, stock or broth) and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until squash and apples are cooked thoroughly.  Strain liquid and set aside.

3) Puree the apple-squash mixture with one cup of the strained liquid.  Add cider and remaining liquid to reach desired consistency. Garnish with grated apple, yogurt, or low-fat sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment