Sunday, May 12, 2013

Spinach Lasagna Rolls

I love lasagna roll-ups, which is surprising considering I hated lasagna and would have loudly announced it to anyone who would listen a year or two ago.  My family and I have all become a bit obsessed with the caprese lasagna roll-ups that I discovered in December, and I have made them multiple times.  Every time, my whole family adores them and we eat them all.  So, when I saw a recipe on Skinny Taste for spinach lasagna rolls, I knew I had to try them.  Skinny lasagna rolls!?  With spinach!?  Yes please.

This was the first time that I used frozen spinach in any recipe.  I have to say, I wish I used fresh, just because it looks so much more appetizing, but the taste was still fine - just not as good as fresh.  I kept thinking of my spinach and ricotta raviolis, and missed that super fresh spinach taste (I think I will go with baby spinach next time; I'll blanch it and then chop it).  The spinach gets mixed with fat free ricotta, grated Parmesan, an egg, salt and pepper.  Then the filling gets spread onto lasagna noodles and baked with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.  Considering all of those ingredients are among some of my favorite things, it was obvious that this recipe was going to be great!  They are quick and easy and end with lasagna roll-ups, so what's not to love?

And, they were lovable.  I still think the capreses are my favorites, but these guys are a very close second.  The spinach and the cheeses mixed together fabulously, and the rolls are pretty filling - one was more than enough for me with a nice slice of Italian bread and some salad.  In general, I have never met a lasagna roll I don't like!

Recipe:

spinach lasagna rolls
from Skinny Taste

Ingredients;

9 lasagna noodles, cooked
10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and completely drained
15 ounces fat free ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
salt and fresh pepper
32 ounces tomato sauce
9 tablespoons part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Instructions:

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Combine spinach, ricotta, parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.  Ladle about 1 cup tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.

2) Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles.  Make sure noodles are dry.  Take 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle.  Roll carefully and place seam side down into the baking dish.  Repeat with remaining noodles.

3) Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese.  Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts.  Makes 9 rolls

Servings: 9  Serving Size: 1 roll  Old Points: 4 pts  Points+: 6 ww pts
Calories: 224.9 • Fat: 5.1 g  Fiber: 3.4 g • Protein: 13.0 g • Carbs: 31.5

No comments:

Post a Comment