Thursday, December 27, 2012

Black Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes

I'm back at it, folks.  I realized when I was in the kitchen this year that I was really slacking.  So I apologize again for the lack of posts at Christmas time, but I am back with a delicious soup recipe to share!

Last fall, before I started my blog, Mark randomly bought me a soup magazine, and I made this black bean soup with sweet potatoes a few times.  It was basically one of the recipes that was so successful, it made me decide to make cooking my New Year's resolution. We all liked it.  Anyway, my mom is sick and has been for almost a week, so we decided she needed soup.  I offered to make this soup, since in our crazy pre-Christmas house cleaning, I found this old magazine again.  She agreed, and it feels like ages since I made a good meal for my family, so I was happy to get back in the kitchen (and to use my new knives!!!  Thanks Rachael and Alex!)

Mmmmm!
The soup comes together in about 45 minutes.  The hardest part is the cutting of the sweet potatoes, but I swear, with my new Henckels, it wasn't too bad!  The soup is flavored with some interesting spices, like cumin, coriander, and aniseed.  I didn't have aniseed but I used a coupel drops of anise extract. Then I got to use my immersion blender, which is always fun.  When the soup is made, you remove 3 cups of the beans and potatoes, and blend all the rest; then you put the vegetables back in so that it's not just puree.  Then, there are two garnishes, and let me tell you: do not skip the garnishes.  They really make this soup's flavors pop - especially the lime slices.   Please oh please do not skip the lime slices!  I decided that every single bite had to be first spooned on top of the lime slice first to get lots of tangy lime juice.  The other garnish is plain yogurt, which makes the soup creamy and pretty - not to mention it cools it down a bit when it's right off the stove.  After eating it, Mom said it was the best she had felt all day, so I hope it is working :)  Everyone who tried it loves it; it is filling and flavorful and absolutely delicious.  And it gets even better after a couple days in the refrigerator, too.  Christy: make this soup :)

Recipe:

black bean soup with sweet potatoes
from The Best of Fine Cooking: Soups and Sandwiches magazine (2011)
yields about 14 cups, or 8 servings

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
3 medium cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1  1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon aniseed
freshly ground black pepper
2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
4 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium dice
kosher salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt for garnish
8 paper-thin lime slices for garnish

Instructions:
1) Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot.  Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften and brown slightly, about 8 minutes.

2) Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, aniseed, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3)  Add the broth, black beans, sweet potatoes, and 3/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat.  Skim any foam as necessary.  Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.

4)  Using a slotted spoon, set aside 3 cups of the beans and potatoes.  Puree the remaining soup in batches using an immersion blender.  Return the reserved beans and potatoes to the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve topped with a dollop of the garlic and a lime slice.  Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.



Using the immersion blender!

No comments:

Post a Comment